- 1 cup Besan (chick pea flour)
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Garlic pods (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Tamarind pulp
- 1 tsp Jaggery (more or less)
- 3-4 Green Chilies (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Hing / Asafetida
- Few Curry leaves
- Few bunches Coriander leaves (chopped)
- 2-3 tsp Coconut (fresh & grated)
- 1-2 tsp Sesame seeds
- 2-3 TBsp Oil (+ some more)
- Salt to taste
- Water around 2 and 1/2 cups.
Heat the nonstick sauce pan with oil, add cumin & mustard seeds. Allow them to splutter. Add onion, green chilies, garlic, curry leaves and fry till they turn light brwon and tender. Add tamarind juice , hing, turmeric powder & stir for few minutes. Add water , jaggery, salt , few coriander leaves and let to come to boil.
Now slowly add besan in batches to boiling water and stir continuous so there will be no lumps. Cook till this gravy thicken. Now zunka is ready.
Grease the plate with oil. Pour this thick zunka over the plate. Sprinkle sesame seeds, coriander leaves, coconut. Let it cool completely. Cut into desired shape.
Lovely combination with Bhakri / chapti/ Curd Rice.
- If possible add bean with your left hand to boiling water and stir continuously with right hand so you can avoid max lumps here.
- If the zunka turn too thin then add some more besan, or if too thick then add few drops of warm water.
- If you don't want to add tamarind them omit that step.
- When the zunka starts to thicken make sure it don't stick to bottom. So keep on stir.
Now left over are even tastes good!!!Just shallow fry on pan and have with Tea / Coffee.