Its a light meal or just a started for the meal..In summer this is an ultimate cooling food.Taste better when its chilled. I think everyone loves these dahi vadas.. I too loved these when my mother used to make these in summer holidays..
- 2/3 cup Moong dal
- 1/4 cup Urad dal
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Ajwain
- 1/2tsp Ginger paste
- 2-3 green Chilies (finely chopped)
- A pinch of Hing
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- Salt and Black pepper as per taste.
- Oil for deep frying
- 1-2 cup Yogurt
- 1-2 tsp Sugar (optional)
- Few pinch of Cumin & red chili powder.
Soak the both the dal for 8 hrs. Grind them with little water and keep for fermentation about 5 hrs or so.
In a bowl add batter, green chilies, curry leaves, ajwain, cumin seeds, hing, salt , pepper and mix it well.Add baking soda and mix it well.
Heat the oil for deep frying. Drop the spoonful the vada batter in the oil. Fry until they turn golden color at both the side. Darin on the pepper. Let them cool.
In a bowl add curd, salt, sugar and beat till it turns creamy and smooth texture. Add above made vada and sprinkle red chili powder, cumin powder, little salt & green chutney.
- Keep in the refrigerator at least 1/2 hr before serving.
- If the batter is too thin them add little rice flour / wheat flour.
- Add baking soda to the batter at the end.