Macaroni and cheese is an ultimate comfort food.I saw this dish many a time on the television. I tried with my own variation with veggie like cauliflower and without adding egg. I loved it more as its raining here and this was so comforting and easy to make. It turnout very cheesy, and yummy Mac & Cheese!!!
- 1 cup Elbow pasta (or any shaped pasta)
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup Cauliflower (used frozen) (chopped finely)
- 3/4 cup Milk (used whole milk)
- 1/2 cup Bread crumbs + some more
- 2 tbsp Butter + some more
- 3-4 tsp AP flour / Maida
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Yellow Mustard paste
- Sat and Black pepper as per taste.
- Thyme (used dried)
- Cheese ( used shredded sharp and mild cheddar cheese , monterey jack cheese)
Heat the pan with butter, add onion, cauliflower and fry till they turn light brown. Add bread crumbs and roast for few minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit for a while.
Cook the past as per the instruction on the box. (not to mushy but al dent )
Heat the non stick pan with butter, sprinkle ap flour and stir for few minutes till the rawness is gone. Add milk slowly and stir continuously and make sure there are no lumps.Now add salt, pepper yellow mustard, thyme, red chili powder and stir for few minutes. Add cooked pasta, cheese , roasted onion, bread crumbs and cauliflower mix. Mix gently everything.
Grease the baking pan with butter. Pour this above made cheese pasta. Sprinkle more cheese and roasted bread crumbs.
Bake at 375 F for 15 minutes or till you see nice cheesy bubble and light brown on the top.
- If you don't link cauliflower then omit the step.
- While making white sauce if lumps are there then don't worry just keep on whisking. Lumps will be gone.
- Save some butter roasted breadcrumb and cauliflower for garnish on the top. (before baking)
- Use generous amount of cheese.