- 1 cup Rice (soaked for 15 minutes)
- 2/3 cup Moong Dal (soaked for 1/2 hr)
- 1/2 cup Broccoli (used frozen )
- 1/4 cup Lima beans ( used frozen)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1-2 Cardamom pods
- 1 small Cinnamon stick
- 2-3 Red chilies (dry)
- 1-2 Green chilies (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- A pinch of Hing
- 3-4 TBsp Ghee or Oil
- Salt to taste
On a nonstick pan heat the ghee, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds dry red chilies, green chilies and allow them to splutter. Add cinnamon stick, bay leaf, cardamom pod and fry for few minutes or till you get nice aroma. Add lima beans, broccoli ,soaked moong dal , turmeric, and fry for few minutes. Add rice , hing, salt and mix everything well. Add water to cook rice.
Cook on medium heat and cover with lid and cook for 20-25 minutes or till the rice get tender.
Serve with dollop of Ghee with pickle.
- Soaked rice and dal helps to cook fast. They get tender/ soft soon.
- Once the rice starts to boil, stir 2-3 times and avoid scorching.