This require little pratice and patince to make these. Its very important that your filling is perfect.
Ingredients: (for Sajjaka)
- 1 cup Rava (used Cracked wheat)
- Jaggery as per taste
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg powder / Jayphal powder
- Approx. 2 cups water.
For Outer Cover:(dough)
- 3/4 cup Wheat flour (chapti atta)
- 1/4 cup Maida / Ap flour
- Few drops oil + more
- Water to knead the dough.
In bowl add all the dough ingredients and make soft dough. Let it rest for 2-3 hrs.
In a nonstick pan add water and bring to boil. Add rava / cracked wheat and stir continuously. So that there will be no lumps. Once the water starts to evaporate add jaggery, nutmeg powder. Cook till all the water is evaporated and rava / cracked wheat is tender.
This is known as Sajjaka. Let it cool completely & knead this for few minutes. (as shown in pic)
Take the dough and roll out 2 inches circle and fill this above made sajjaka and close the edges. (just like we do for parata, poli, modak). Roll these on oiled surface aroun 4 inch circle. You can sprinkle poppy seeds while rolling.
Heat the griddle / tava and roast these on medium heat on both side with generous amount of oil.
Serve hot these soft holige / poli with dollop of Ghee / Tup & Warm Milk.
Nice combination with Yennegai Badanekai / stuffed brinjal side dish.
- If the filling is (sajjaka) is too thick then add warm milk / water and knead it.
- If the filling is (sajjaka) become thin then add little wheat flour / maida to it.
- Do not add lot of maida ( for outer cover) because they may turn too crispy.
- Adjust Jaggery to your taste.
& also Divya's Show Me Your Whole Grains Event.