Misal with Tarri , kat or Gravy is very famous dish in Maharashtra specially Kolhapur misal is very famous.Its spicy mixture of Moong bean sprouts curry, Potato sabji , Poha , Kara/ farsan and Tarri which is very important ingredient.
Ingredients for tarri or kat:
- 3-4 tsp Dry Coconut (lightly dry roasted)
- 1 Toamto (chopped)
- 1 Onion (sliced)
- 2-3 Garlic (minced)
- 1 inch Ginger (minced)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- 2-3 tsp Oil(tempering)
- 4-5 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
Heat the pan with oil, add minced garlic, ginger and fry for till they turn light brown. Add sliced onion and fry till they turn brown and soft. Add tomatoes and fry for few minutes. turn of the heat and let it cool. In the mixer/ blender add above made onion masala, dry coconut, garam masala, chili powder and grand till the smooth paste.
Heat the pan with 4-5tsp oil, add above made masala paste and cook till the oil starts to loosing from the masala. At this point you can add red chili powder, salt. Add water and cook till it comes to boil. (Tarri will be watery consistency).
- First put the matkichi usal/ sprout moong bean sabji, then potato sabji and followed by poha.
- Pour some of the above made spicy Tarri / kut.
- Add farsan/ mixture.
- Garnish with finely chopped Onion,Coriander leaves and lemon wages or you can use curd.
- Serve with pav/bread with extra tarri!!